The Commission hosted West Virginia’s annual Board of Governors Summit on August 7-8, 2015 at the Embassy Suites in Charleston. Presentations from the 2015 Summit are available further down on this page.
For additional information, contact Molly George Cassis at 304.558.0699 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
W.Va. Code §18B-1D-9 states:
(a) The commission and council, either jointly or separately, shall coordinate periodic training and development opportunities for members of the commission, council and institutional governing boards as provided in this section.
The training and development shall address the following topics:
(1) State goals, objectives and priorities for higher education;
(2) The accountability system for higher education set forth in this article;
(3) The general powers and duties of members; and
(4) Ethical considerations arising from board membership.
(b) Training and development is required as follows:
(1) A member newly appointed to the commission, council or a governing board shall complete three hours of training and development by the end of the first fiscal year of service if the appointment is made in the first half of a fiscal year. If the appointment is made in the second half of a fiscal year the member shall complete three hours of training and development by the end of the first half of the second fiscal year.
(2) With the exception of the ex officio members of the commission and the council and the student member of a governing board, each member shall complete at least six hours of training and development related to his or her duties within two fiscal years of beginning service and within every two fiscal years of service thereafter.
(c) Annually, by July 31, the chair of the commission, council and each governing board shall certify to the commission or council, as appropriate, the number of hours of training and development that each member received during the preceding fiscal year.
(d) If the certification indicates that a board member has not completed the training and development required by this section, the commission or council, as appropriate, shall send a notice to the affected board member, and to the Governor and the Secretary of State or to the institutional appointing entity that the board member is disqualified from continued service notwithstanding the provisions of sections five and six, article six, chapter six of this code. The commission or council, as appropriate, shall request the Governor or appointing entity to appoint a replacement for that board member.
(e) Annually, by September 30, the commission and council shall report to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability on the training and development that members of the commission and council and the governing boards under their respective jurisdictions have received during the preceding fiscal year. This information shall be included in the institutional and statewide report cards provided in section eight of this article.
(f) As used in this section, “member” means all members of the commission, council and the governing boards unless a specific exception is provided in this section.
Materials from past training events sponsored by the Commission
August 7-8, 2015 Board of Governors Summit
August 22-23, 2008 Board of Governors Summit
August 21-22, 2009 Board of Governors Summit
November 19, 2009 Finance Summit
July 23-24, 2010 Board of Governors Summit
Pre-Conference Session Handouts
Opening Plenary Session: Presentation by Brian Noland
July 29, 2011 Capitalizing on the Foundation-Institution Partnership
August 12, 2011 Strategic Finance
July 20-21, 2012 Board of Governors Summit
Pre-Conference Session Handouts
Friday’s Plenary Session: The Financial Outlook for Higher Education and the Fiscal Challenges Facing West Virginia
Saturday’s Plenary Panel: Educating West Virginia is Everyone’s Business
Saturday’s Concurrent Sessions: The Basics of Institutional Finance | Roundtable Discussion on Retention and Graduation Initiatives | Roundtable Discussions on Adult Learner Best Practices
August 2013 Board of Governors Summit
August 1-2, 2014 Board of Governors Summit
Preconference Luncheons ->
Plenary & Panel Discussion: Aligning the Work of the Commission with Institutional Goals and State Needs ->
Plenary: State Budget Forecast ->
Plenary: 10 Habits of Highly Effective Boards ->
Session: A Deeper Look at Effective Governance ->
Session: Building a Better Business Model ->
Session: Governing an Academic Health Center ->
Session: Academic Program Review and Approval ->
Session: Title IX and Gender Equity on Campus ->