I received notice that I need to start paying my student loans. What do I do?

Your loan service officer will provide you with options for repayment, including standard, graduated, extended, income-based (IBR), pay-as-you-earn (PAYE), revised pay as you earn (REPAYE), income contingent (ICR) and an income-sensitive repayment plan. Once you choose a plan, you can begin making payments. You can change your repayment plan at any time; just contact your loan servicer regarding your options.

I received notice that my student loans are in default or I missed a payment. What do I do?

If you realize you may have difficulty paying back a federal student loan, contact your loan service officer as soon as possible. (If you don’t know who that is, visit My Federal Student Aid.) If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, contact the organization that processes services for your loan. This could be your institution, a loan servicer, or someone else (find out who provides services for your loan here).

If your loan is in default, you should contact the organization that alerted you of your loan’s status as soon as you can so you can discuss your options and explain why your loan is in default. There are several ways to get a loan out of default.

My student loan payment is more than I can afford. Do I have any options?

If you find that you cannot afford your student loan payment, you may want to research other repayment plans. Some repayment options are income-based and may be more affordable than your current repayment plan. You can discuss payment options by contacting your loan servicer.


How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

Contact the Office of the Registrar of your institution to get a copy of your transcripts. Additionally, many colleges allow students to order transcripts online. You can visit your college’s website for more information.


I attended a college that is no longer in operation. How can I get access to my records and transcripts?

Click here to access information on retrieving records from a college that has shut down.


I need money to help pay for college. How can I find information on scholarships and grants?

You can view a comprehensive list of West Virginia’s scholarships and grants on CFWV.com. Students who create an account on CFWV.com can use the scholarship finder tool to be matched to scholarships they may be eligible to receive.

Many scholarships and grants require students to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered. A number of financial aid workshops during which financial aid experts help students complete the FAFSA happen all across the state of West Virginia. Check out the community calendar to find an event near you.


Where can I find information about the PROMISE scholarship program?

You can find information about the PROMISE scholarship program by visiting cfwv.com/promise.


Where can I find a list of all the colleges and universities in West Virginia?

You can explore West Virginia’s colleges and universities by checking out CFWV.com.


Where can I find a master list of all degree programs offered in West Virginia?

For a list of degree programs offered at West Virginia’s four-year institutions, click here. For a list of degree programs offered at West Virginia’s two-year institutions, click here.


I want to pursue a program of study that is not offered in West Virginia. Are there programs to help me offset the cost of out-of-state tuition?

The Southern Regional Education Board’s (SREB’s) Academic Common Market allows students in 15 southern states to enroll in select programs at public institutions in other states while paying in-state tuition. Click here to see a comprehensive list of programs covered and participating states.


I’m looking for research about higher education in West Virginia. Where can I find it?

You can find research on West Virginia’s two- and four-year institutions using HEPC’s Data and Publication Center.


Where can I find information about…

West Virginia GEAR UP?

You can find information on the West Virginia GEAR UP program by visiting www.wvgearup.org.



You can find information about the College Foundation of West Virginia by visiting www.cfwv.com.


Veterans education programs?

You can find information on veterans education programs by visiting cfwvconnect.com/veterans-education.


The PROMISE scholarship?

You can find information on the PROMISE scholarship by visiting cfwv.com/promise.



You can find more about EPSoR by visiting wvresearch.org.



You can find out about WVNET by visiting wvnet.edu.


The West Virginia Regional Technology Park

You can find out about the West Virginia Regional Technology Park by visiting wvtechpark.com.


I’m an international student looking to study in the United States. Where can I find information?

International students can find information about studying in West Virginia by visiting studywv.org. Students can use the site to find a program/major, to explore West Virginia’s colleges, and to get information on how to enroll at one of West Virginia’s colleges as an international student.