WV Mental Health Leadership Scholarship
WV Mental Health Leadership ScholarshipThe West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and West Virginia Community and Technical College System are excited to offer a limited number of scholarships for students attending public colleges and universities in West Virginia to attend the upcoming Active Minds Conference – the nation’s leading mental health conference for young adults – July 7-8 in Washington, D.C. This year’s conference theme is “Be the Mental Health Change” and the sessions will showcase the most innovative and effective approaches to supporting young adult well-being and changing the conversation about mental health on campuses, in schools, in the transition to the workplace, and within our communities.
This opportunity is limited to college students currently serving or considering leadership positions in student clubs or organizations with a focus on mental health initiatives. Applicants should be planning to enroll at a public institution in WV for the 2023-2024 school year. Priority deadline to apply is April 30.
Before applying for the WV Mental Health Leadership Scholarship to attend the conference, please review all conference and scholarship application information carefully.
Conference Details: https://www.activeminds.org/programs/national-conference-2023/
WV Scholarship Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y8VZ3CQ
How the scholarship works:
- After you apply for the scholarship, we will let you know as soon as possible if your application is approved, and for how much it is approved so you can begin making lodging and travel reservations.
- Once you have registered for the conference, you will submit your registration confirmation to BehavioralHealth@wvhepc.edu in order to receive the scholarship funds. Registering for the conference requires using a credit card. You must register no later than June 1.
- You must save all receipts and submit them with your scholarship report by July 15. We recommend taking a picture of all receipts with your phone as soon as you get them and also keeping the paper copy.
- If your receipts do not add up to the amount of your scholarship, you will have to return the additional balance.
- The scholarship may not cover every expense you incur during your trip. No additional funds over the amount of the scholarship you are awarded will be paid when your receipts and report are turned in.
- Meals and incidentals allowance can only be used for your food, driver tips, additional parking or luggage storage and similar expenses. No scholarship funds may be used on alcohol.
- If you cancel your plans to attend the conference, all scholarship funds must be paid back as soon as you know you cannot attend, with a final deadline of July 15.
What the scholarship includes:
- $110-$150 Student Registration (early bird registration by May 15 preferred)
- $430 Lodging at Capitol Hilton Hotel for Thursday 7/6 and Friday 7/7
- $75 Meals and incidentals allowance (the conference provides most meals)
- $100 -$500 Travel from WV to Washington D.C. (your amount depends on your travel distance)
- $120 Ground transportation to and from airport (if flying) or parking at the Capitol Hilton (if driving)
- $835- $1,275 Total Scholarship Amount
Reach out if you have questions! BehavioralHealth@wvhepc.edu
Note: The West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission and the West Virginia Community and Technical College System are not affiliated with Active Minds. The conference scholarship is intended to provide an educational experience for students who could not otherwise afford to attend. Opinions expressed by speakers and participants do not constitute the opinions of the WVHEPC and WVCTCS.