Every behavioral health professional’s journey is unique. Where will your pathway lead?
Thinking About a Career in Behavioral Health?
Careers in behavioral health involve providing important support and services to children, adolescents, and adults dealing with emotional challenges, behavioral problems, mental illness, life stressors, and substance use disorders. West Virginia needs passionate, dedicated behavioral health professionals — and that means a wide variety of in-demand job opportunities when you graduate and job security in the long-run.
If you are interested in a career in behavioral health, there are several possible educational pathways you can choose in West Virginia, including Social Work, Counseling and Psychology.
Join the Behavioral Health Workforce!
Get started on your path to a rewarding, in-demand career in positions such as: psychologist, social worker, mental health counselor, and substance use disorder counselor. Check out our Flipbook below for all the details on where to start and how to best plot your course to the career you want!
Explore education and career options with the WV Mental and Behavioral Health Pathways Guide.
Check out the Career Pathways Video Series.
Videos cover the following topics:
- Learn About Educational Programs at WV Colleges and Universities
- Counseling Students Discuss their Pathways
- Psychology Students Discuss their Pathways
- Social Work Students Discuss their Pathways
- Professionals Discuss their Pathways
Student Videos were made possible by a project of the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine Center for Rural and Community Health. In 2020, WVSOM Center for Rural and Community Health provided internship stipends for master’s level students pursuing careers in behavioral health fields in West Virginia. The program was funded by the State Opioid Response grant and was designed to promote careers in behavioral health toward the growth of West Virginia’s workforce.
Search for Scholarship and Loan Repayment Programs for behavioral health education
- Financial Aid Information
- Scholarship search
- Mental Health Loan Repayment Program
- Health Sciences Service Program
Career Exploration Tools
- Explore your interests and career options and watch videos sorted by industry
- Compare salary ranges on CareerOneStop
- Learn and practice reflective listening and other techniques used by behavioral health professionals
- Explore programs and majors in the Human Services and Health Sciences career clusters on College for WV
- Join students at WV schools who have access to Roadtrip Nation by Career Finder. Learn more here or ask your counselor for details to log in.
- Navigate your future on Classroom 2 Career Navigator by WV Department of Education
- View teacher and educator tools for middle and high school career exploration from WV Department of Education