West Virginia’s five-year master plan for higher education sets forth a bold and renewed vision embraced by the Higher Education Policy Commission and public four-year colleges and universities – with the paramount goal of solidifying higher education as a means to success for West Virginians and an economic catalyst for the state.
Through a collaborative effort among the Commission and campuses, West Virginia is working to uphold a system that promises access to higher education for West Virginians, success through degree completion, and a lasting, positive impact on its economic future.
If you would like to receive periodic email updates regarding West Virginia’s progress in meeting these goals, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goal for 2018: Increase access to postsecondary education for both traditional and non-traditional aged West Virginians.
• Increase overall enrollment and in important target populations
• Increase the percentage of West Virginia high school graduates continuing on to higher education
• Institutions will provide a plan for a comprehensive, collaborative access effort and report on the outcomes of this effort
• Institutions will provide their comprehensive financial aid plan that guides institution level financial aid allocation, administration, and outreach and report on the outcomes of this plan
More: Access White Paper
Goal for 2018: Increase the number of students at system institutions completing quality academic programs.
• Improve the outcomes of students requiring developmental education
• Increase the overall retention rate of students and in important target populations
• Increase the number of students making progress toward on-time completion
• Increase the overall four- and six-year graduation rates of students and in important target populations
• Institutions will provide brief summaries of academic program reviews and plans for assurance of student learning
• Institutions with graduate programs will provide a summary of institutional plans to improve student outcomes and report on these efforts
More: Success White Paper
Goal for 2018: Increase the impact public colleges and universities have on West Virginia through production of graduates ready to contribute to the workforce and the community, provision of needed services, and research and development activities that advance the state’s economy.
• Increase the number of degrees awarded annually at the undergraduate and graduate levels overall and in needed areas
• Institutions will address regional economic needs through developing and promoting pathways to the West Virginia workforce for students and recent graduates
• Institutions will provide a plan for how the institution and its students are engaging with external organizations to solve critical regional civic and/or social issues
• Decrease the federal student loan cohort default rate at system institutions
• Increase research and development activities which contribute to West Virginia’s economic growth
More: Impact White Paper
Resources from the Compact Planning Forum (March 31-April 1, 2014)
Connecting Across the Focal Areas
Institution Initiatives in Health, Education and STEM Recruitment/Retention